Subject: bug#44081: closed (Re: bug#44081: qtbase strips debug info from the debug output)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 03:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44081: qtbase strips debug info from the debug output

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44081: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44081
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44081: qtbase strips debug info from the debug output
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Malte Frank Gerdes <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 23:55:43 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Malte Frank Gerdes <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm trying to get debug symbols for qt related packages. I noticed that
>> those inherit from qtsvg which itself inherits from qtbase. The
>> behaviour that i see is: before the stripping phase all objects have
>> debugging info and afterwards even the separate debug files don't have
>> them anymore.
>
> You want to use the staging branch of Guix, as it already includes a
> debug output for qtbase and related packages (which inherits from its
> definition).
>
> Possibly what was missing from your experiment was the
> "--force-debug-info" configure option that prevents the Qt build system
> from stripping the debug symbols (the otherwise default behavior).  You
> can inspect commit ab6fe9d3620 to see how it was done.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Maxim

Subject: qtbase strips debug info from the debug output
From: Malte Frank Gerdes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 21:48:49 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

i'm trying to get debug symbols for qt related packages. I noticed that
those inherit from qtsvg which itself inherits from qtbase. The
behaviour that i see is: before the stripping phase all objects have
debugging info and afterwards even the separate debug files don't have
them anymore.

I tested other packages based on gnu-build-system; there every .debug
file that's in the debug output contains the debug info as
expected. This can be checked with `readelf --debug-dump
<path-to-file>'.

I read the package defintions but can't see where it goes wrong.

Attached is build log of qtbase with (outputs '("out" "debug")) added to
it's package definition. Note that during the strip phase strip issues
warnings regarding files in the debug output which should simply not be
because this (imho) where strip strips the debug info from the .debug
files.

Any help and/or clarification as to what is happening here is much
appreciated :)

Malte