Subject: Re: bug#44080: 27.1; Display behavior of overlays `after-string` in resizable minibuffer frames

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 18:05:34 +0200

> I did not know `resize-mini-frames` is already allowed to be a
 > function, I don't use that feature at all so I'm a bit clueless about
 > possible settings. It doesn't look like `window--resize-mini-frame` is
 > called anywhere? Is that function meant for users?

Yes.  For example with my Emacs 27 it's documented as

resize-mini-frames is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
Its value is ‘pop-up-mini-resize-mini-frame’
Original value was nil

   You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 27.1 of Emacs.

Documentation:
Non-nil means resize minibuffer-only frames automatically.
If this is nil, do not resize minibuffer-only frames automatically.

If this is a function, call that function with the minibuffer-only
frame that shall be resized as sole argument.  The buffer of the root
window of that frame is the buffer whose text will be eventually shown
in the minibuffer window.

Any other non-nil value means to resize minibuffer-only frames by
calling ‘fit-frame-to-buffer’.

 >> If 'fit-frame-to-buffer' has additional defects when used for resizing
 >> mini frames, we could try to fix them in 'fit-mini-frame-to-buffer' as
 >> well.  WDYT?
 >
 > Sounds like a good approach to me. Thanks for thinking it through!

Could you try coding it?  It's straightforward and you could test it
immediately and possibly discuss it with the 'mini-frame-mode' people.

Thanks, martin