Subject: Re: bug#44080: 27.1; Display behavior of overlays `after-string` in resizable minibuffer frames

From: Clemens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 16:13:30 +0200

> IMO advices are much too complicated to handle this issue.  I'd proceed
> in the traditional way:

Oh I did not mean to propose that as a solution on the Emacs side, sorry 
if that wasn't clear. It was meant as a temporary workaround for 
affected users before an official solution lands.

> (1) Rename 'fit-frame-to-buffer' to say 'fit-frame-to-buffer-1' and give
> that function two new arguments FROM and TO.  In its
> 'window-text-pixel-size' call, replace the "t t" with "from to".
> 
> (2) Provide a new function 'fit-frame-to-buffer' with the same singature
> as the old 'fit-frame-to-buffer' that calls `fit-frame-to-buffer-1' with
> FROM and TO t.
> 
> (3) Provide a new function 'fit-mini-frame-to-buffer' that calls
> 'fit-frame-to-buffer-1' with FROM and TO nil.  Offer that function as
> first choice when customizing 'resize-mini-frames' and call it in
> 'window--resize-mini-frame' when 'resize-mini-frames' is nil.

I did not know `resize-mini-frames` is already allowed to be a function, 
I don't use that feature at all so I'm a bit clueless about possible 
settings. It doesn't look like `window--resize-mini-frame` is called 
anywhere? Is that function meant for users?

> If 'fit-frame-to-buffer' has additional defects when used for resizing
> mini frames, we could try to fix them in 'fit-mini-frame-to-buffer' as
> well.  WDYT?

Sounds like a good approach to me. Thanks for thinking it through!