Subject: bug#44080: 27.1; Display behavior of overlays `after-string` in resizable minibuffer frames

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:49:00 +0200

> The version above invokes infinite recursion so I would rather recommend
 > something like the following for affected users ...

IMO advices are much too complicated to handle this issue.  I'd proceed
in the traditional way:

(1) Rename 'fit-frame-to-buffer' to say 'fit-frame-to-buffer-1' and give
that function two new arguments FROM and TO.  In its
'window-text-pixel-size' call, replace the "t t" with "from to".

(2) Provide a new function 'fit-frame-to-buffer' with the same singature
as the old 'fit-frame-to-buffer' that calls `fit-frame-to-buffer-1' with
FROM and TO t.

(3) Provide a new function 'fit-mini-frame-to-buffer' that calls
'fit-frame-to-buffer-1' with FROM and TO nil.  Offer that function as
first choice when customizing 'resize-mini-frames' and call it in
'window--resize-mini-frame' when 'resize-mini-frames' is nil.

If 'fit-frame-to-buffer' has additional defects when used for resizing
mini frames, we could try to fix them in 'fit-mini-frame-to-buffer' as
well.  WDYT?

martin