Subject: bug#44068: 28.0.50; Faulty uses of tabulated-list-format

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 23:55:12 +0100

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 17:09:30 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 00:12:31 +0100
>>
>> > Can you describe the result?  I don't think I have a clear idea what
>> > it will be.
>>
>> There are two features the patch provides:
>>
>> - All sortable columns in tabulated-list-mode derivatives that are wide
>>   enough to display a sort indicator when selected do so (sortable
>>   columns that are not wide enough include e.g. the first three in the
>>   Buffer-menu-mode table).  In contrast, currently, i.e. without the
>>   patch, all final sortable columns and some non-final ones that are
>>   wide enough do not display the sort indicator when selected.
>>
>> - When a column (whether selected or not) is made narrower (by
>>   repeatedly typing `{') than the length of the column label in the
>>   header line, the label is truncated and displays a trailing ellipis,
>>   just like the data lines of such columns in the table (if such a
>>   narrowed column is sortable and selected, the the sort indicator is
>>   still displayed after the ellipis).  In contrast, currently, the
>>   column labels are not truncated, which can lead to misalignment
>>   between the header line and the data lines.  (However, even with the
>>   patch, misalignment can happen, because the data lines can be
>>   truncated to display nothing but the ellipis, while the header line
>>   labels always show at least the first letter of the label.  I think
>>   the display of the data lines here is questionable, but dealing with
>>   that is another issue.)
>
> Sound like good improvements, thanks.

Thanks, I've pushed it to master in commit 233d350d19.

Steve Berman