Subject: bug#44068: 28.0.50; Faulty uses of tabulated-list-format

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 23:53:56 +0100

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 04:02:04 -0800 Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> As an aside, do you think that use of the :right-align :pad-right
>> properties in timer-list-mode in my first patch is a good change?
>
> Do you mean this part?
>
> -          ("      Next" 12 timer-list--next-predicate)
> -          ("  Repeat" 11 timer-list--repeat-predicate)
> +          ("Next" 12 timer-list--next-predicate :right-align t :pad-right 1)
> +          ("Repeat" 11 timer-list--repeat-predicate :right-align t
> :pad-right 1)
>
> If so, it definitely looks like an improvement to me.  Do you see any
> problems with it?

No, and in fact without it the tabulated-list-init-header patch makes
selecting "Repeat" column (and hence displaying the sort indicator
there) push the "Function" column label to the right, causing
misalignment with the data lines; with the properties this does not
happen.  (However, the width of 11 makes the data lines of the "Repeat"
column appear truncated, but this width was changed to 12 in commit
0cb44eed6, fixing that problem.)

> BTW, does it work better with narrowing the column, too?  We seem to
> have some issues with that currently.

Do you mean that truncation happens even though there is still enough
space to display the data or header?  I see that both with hard spaces
and with the :right-align property.  I haven't tried to figure out why
that's happening, but seems to be separate from above change.

Given that, and also Eli's approval of the tabulated-list-init-header
patch, I've gone ahead and committed these changes.  I didn't make any
of the column width changes I proposed in my first patch, since with the
tabulated-list-init-header patch they don't seem to be needed.
Nevertheless, there's clearly still room for improvement, in particular
concerning truncation (I also hinted at another problem with this in my
last reply to Eli).

Steve Berman