Subject: Re: bug#44068: 28.0.50; Faulty uses of tabulated-list-format

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 23:51:21 +0000

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> It seems to.  I did experiment a bit with the width when I made the
> patch just for the selected column and thought the length I used there
> gave the best results, but maybe that was too cautious.  Does this patch
> give better results (it differs from the previous one only in the
> lengths checked and used for truncating):

I think this looks very good, yes.  It works fully as I would expect, at
least: it seems to always correctly show the sorting indicator and the
ellipsis.

(I tested using list-buffers, list-bookmarks, list-packages,
list-processes, list-dynamic-libraries, org-lint and
flymake-diagnostics-buffer-mode.)

Perhaps we could just go over the list above as you did in your first
patch and make sure that there is enough space for all of these to show
a sorting indicator without it touching the next column label.

> It might be better to take more width parameters into account, as
> tabulated-list-print-col does, but that seems rather more complicated
> and I currently don't have time to pursue it.

I imagine we can come back to and improve on this later.

> I wish I had more time for it but at the moment I don't.

What you have here is already a big improvement, thank you.

I would recommend to push this to master.