Subject: bug#41861: closed (Re: bug#44068: 28.0.50; Faulty uses of tabulated-list-format)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 22:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44068: 27.0.91; `tabulated-list-mode': No sort-direction indicator for

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44068: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44068
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44068: 28.0.50; Faulty uses of tabulated-list-format
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 23:51:40 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 11:38:04 -0500 Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> BTW, does it work better with narrowing the column, too?  We seem to
>>> have some issues with that currently.
>>
>> Do you mean that truncation happens even though there is still enough
>> space to display the data or header?  I see that both with hard spaces
>> and with the :right-align property.  I haven't tried to figure out why
>> that's happening, but seems to be separate from above change.
>
> Indeed, it is a separate issue.  I have opened Bug#44594 to track it.

Thanks.

>> Given that, and also Eli's approval of the tabulated-list-init-header
>> patch, I've gone ahead and committed these changes.  I didn't make any
>> of the column width changes I proposed in my first patch, since with the
>> tabulated-list-init-header patch they don't seem to be needed.
>
> Thank you!  I guess this bug should therefore be closed as fixed?

Yeah, I forgot to do that after committing the patch, done now.

Steve Berman

Subject: 27.0.91; `tabulated-list-mode': No sort-direction indicator for
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 14:51:13 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 rightmost column
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Oracle Beehive Extensions for Outlook 2.0.1.9.1  (1003210) [OL
 16.0.5005.0 (x86)]
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Use `buffer-menu'.  Click column-header `File', to sort by that column.
There is no sort-direction indicator,
`tabulated-list-gui-sort-indicator-(asc|desc)'.  There should be one,
whenever, as in this case, the column content is wider than one char.

This is a failing of the design of `tabulated-list-init-header'.  It's
often the case that some columns that are not limited in width to one
char have a `tabulated-list-format' whose second element is 1.  For
column `File' this is ("File" 1 t), for instance.  It's wrong for
`tabulated-list-init-header' to rely on that `1' to indicate whether
there's room for a sort indicator.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2020-04-20
Repository revision: c36c5a3dedbb2e0349be1b6c3b7567ea7b594f1c
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18362
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=3Dx86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=3D-O2 -static''