Subject: bug#44059: 28.0.50; Trash files cannot be deleted properly if delete-by-moving-to-trash is set

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 12:27:25 +0300

If I set:

trash-directory and delete-by-moving-to-trash

then I cannot delete files in Trash, you can see what is happening,
files may get a backup in Trash directory, but they do not get deleted,
I need to invoke shell command or disable delete-by-moving-to-trash

Best would be when first file is placed into Trash, that Emacs places
there some directory local variable that would disable
delete-by-moving-to-trash when deleting in that directory

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 18, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.12, cairo version 1.14.8)
 of 2020-10-14 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 423439b38067c4a428310edab24fba7da082027c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-10-14 --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json
map text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rect delsel cl-seq
image-mode exif vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode view misearch multi-isearch
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
cl-extra seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-print thingatpt
help-fns radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 107871 10426)
 (symbols 48 9849 1)
 (strings 32 29033 2153)
 (string-bytes 1 849511)
 (vectors 16 15242)
 (vector-slots 8 198702 11716)
 (floats 8 56 149)
 (intervals 56 4869 4)
 (buffers 992 20))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis