Subject: Re: bug#44053: Poor profile generation performance on spinning disks

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:17:20 -0400

Hi Simon,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> About performance reported by [1],
>
> 1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/44053>
>
> the commit [2],
>
> 2: <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=76ea70bd70aeb76570445c11cea2f98139192b54>
>
> improves the situation.  Although I agree the performance are poor for
> spinning disk, what is the next actionable step associated to this
> report?
>
> Maybe we can close, WDYT?

This issue is more about the time it takes to generate the file
hierarchy of the profile, rather than with the profile hooks.  The
profile hooks should be tolerably fast at this point.

There is perhaps more optimization that can be done at the level of
populating the symbolic links of a profile, so I'd like to leave this
open until someone gets around to profiling what is slow and whether
something more can be done.

Thanks,

Maxim