Subject: Re: bug#44023: dired-allow-duplicate-buffers

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 04:51:25 -0500

On 2020-11-06 09:29, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> E.g. I suspect that diredc wants/needs this feature, but it's not
> >> diredc's job to set user options, so for diredc it would probably make
> >> more sense to pass that as an argument.
> >> WDYT?
> >
> > I prefer the defcustom route because I like giving a user choices (it's
> > also more emacs-y).
>
> I don't see this as a question of "choice vs no-choice" but a question
> is: should this be decided globally over the whole Emacs session,

Yes, yes.

> or should it be decided one a case-by-case basis

If you mean buffer-by-buffer, no, no, no. Think of how tedious that
would be to need to manually set that for each navigation. Once a person
sets a preference, it should become the default until changed.

> > Less subjectively, adding an argument creates a mess
> > because the modified function is a generic internal function
>
> Which is why I then suggested a separate function/command (which will
> require a bit of refactoring to share the common code, of course, but
> that's an implementation detail).

Another way of saying 'more work that isn't really necessary at all'? If
you're asking to choose between: 1] a clean single line change and
boolean defcustom, and; 2] "a separate function/command (which will
require a bit of refactoring to share the common code, of course" ... uh
... I think I choose ... uh ... uh ...

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0