Subject: bug#44023: dired-allow-duplicate-buffers

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 02:46:44 -0400

On 2020-10-16 07:32, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Also, implicit in the comment for `dired-find-buffer-nocreate' is that
> > more than one match may exist for a dired directory buffer.
> >
> > So, maybe this once existed or was planned?
>
> Dired has always supported having several buffers visiting the same
> directory, so I'm not quite sure what the proposed patch is trying to
> fix.  You just rename the buffer to something else, like with any
> command that defaults to a single buffer name (like, say, `M-x grep').

That's not "dired support" in any shape or form! That's an emacs kludge
external to dired that exploits how dired handles buffer names (likewise
for grep). Dired internally (in the very line being modified by my
patch) actively subverts having several buffers visiting the same
directory, and my experience in testing is that no harm is done when
using the patch.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0