Subject: 28.0.50; Prefer selection of colour emoji fonts?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 20:10:44 +0200

If I start "emacs -Q" and load a file with this character:

🎉

Emacs shows that as a black-and-white symbol using the Symbola font.

If I then say

(set-fontset-font t 'symbol "Noto Color Emoji")
(set-fontset-font t 'symbol "Symbola" nil 'append)

I get a colourful party popper.

It'd be nice if this worked out of the box.  What do other programs do?
Have a huge list of fonts they prefer over other fonts?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 49, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-10-14 built on xo
Repository revision: 1ee5a4cb1afe5a55d78e35cab2ad8651196c8967
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no