Subject: Re: bug#44020: 28.0.50; Prefer selection of colour emoji fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 12:12:25 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>,  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:38:10 +0200
> 
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > On the other hand it comes preinstalled, it only works on Apple
> > devices, and Noto Color Emoji doesn't work on Apple devices. I'm not
> > sure we'd really be "promoting" it.
> 
> On the third hand, since it's preinstalled, Emacs doesn't need to
> mention it, because it's always there, and Emacs won't have problems
> displaying the characters it offers.

Are you sure?  What exactly makes sure Emacs won't have any problems
in those cases?  For starters, does Emacs really know that a given
character belongs to "Emoji"?  And if it does, does it know how to
filter fonts that support Emoji?