Subject: Re: bug#43961: read carefully: dired-file-name-at-point vs dired-filename-at-point

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 06:58:07 +0200

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

>   > As I think I mentioned, once (if) the patch is approved, a next step is
>   > to grep the emacs core code-base and replace the function names.
>
> I just did that.  dired-filename-at-point is not used anywhere except
> dired-x.el.
>
> I expect that none of the published Lisp packages uses
> dired-filename-at-point.

And I looked at the code now, and it seems the bug reporter
misunderstood the point of the function: It's used to guess a file name
in non-dired buffers, while dired-file-name-at-point is a dired function
that just returns the file name in a dired buffer.

So they're totally unrelated functions, but dired-filename-at-point has
an unfortunate name.  I've now renamed it (but kept
dired-filename-at-point as an obsolete alias).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no