Subject: Re: bug#43957: remove process-kill-buffer-query-function from kill-buffer-query-functions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 12:52:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> FWIW, I'm not sure an unconditional change in behavior here is TRT.
> Killing a buffer doesn't necessarily imply the user is aware that the
> process will be killed as well.
>
> I wouldn't object to an opt-in option, though.

I think this sounds a bit obscure as a user option, to be honest.  We
already have options covering customisations here.  For instance, if
there's certain process connections a user doesn't care about, they can
write hook functions to set `set-process-query-on-exit-flag' for those
processes.

And for this specific change -- to not ask about the process in the
current buffer when issuing the `C-x C-c' command -- I think the user
could easily write a three line function and put that in
`kill-buffer-query-function' instead of `process-kill-buffer-query-function'.

That is, I feel the range of things a user could want to have happen in
this case is so wide that adding a single
`don't-query-about-the-process-in-the-current-buffer' variable would not
significantly help a large enough group of users.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no