Subject: bug#43950: lz4 CC=gcc - Why?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 20:03:40 +0200

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic 写道：
> It's a dependency of genimage (via squashfs-tools).  Breaking it 
> breaks
> guix system image generation.
>
> It's a dependency of u-boot.  Breaking it breaks booting on all 
> ARM
> machines.

Thanks.  Yes, unfortunately it's a dependency of a lot, making it 
a staging package.

I didn't rebuild all dependents before pushing but I did build 
several packages including u-boot-pine64-lts (on x86_64) as a 
smoke test.  I also verified that lz4 with 
--target=aarch64-linux-gnu actually builds for aarch64 now.  I 
think it's safe.

If anything were to break I'd say it must have been broken before, 
but do let me know if it happens.

> Ludo said to send extra mails for each--so that's what I am 
> doing.

Each package using CC=gcc?  There are currently hundreds; I don't 
think that's what Ludo' meant.  Do hope to have it down to tens 
soon...

Kind regards,

T G-R