Subject: bug#43949: Strange behaviour for linum-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:58:40 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:39:23 +0200
> 
> >>>>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:19:54 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:
>     >> and adjusting the x-coordinate of the glyphs after the space
>     >> appropriately.
> 
>     Eli> Did you read the comment before this code?
> 
> Ah no. I guess that makes it more complicated (and I need to check my
> L2R privilege more often).

Let me put it this way: if someone can find a clever algorithm to
know, when we produce the line numbers, whether the "glyph row" will
be "reversed" or not, we will be able to implement any number of
niceties like the one discussed here, which produce asymmetric space
before and after the line number.  As things are, I simply couldn't
find a solution for that (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just
that I'm not smart enough to come up with one).

Ideas and patches are welcome.