Subject: [bug#43946] [PATCH] doc: Add item to "Submitting Patches" section.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 06:40:29 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 15:00, zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 14:30, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> > +We recommend to use the command @code{git format-patch --base} to
>> > +include the commit where your patch applies.
>>
>> I’m not entirely convinced TBH, in part because I know I often pile a
>> couple of WIP branches on top of one another, “knowing what I’m doing”
>> (actually hoping that I do), and so the base commit would be useless in
>> this case.

[...]

>> Closing?  :-)
>
> As you want. :-)
> But, I think "qui peut le plus peut le moins".  Even if maybe my
> wording is not the good one, I still think that the "base-commit"
> where the patch applies should be provided, at least suggested.

I still think that recommending to provide the commit on which it is
known that the patch (or patch set) applies is a good recommendation.
Especially when the submission rate is greater than the review rate and
the tree is moving really quickly (yeah!).

It is no extra work for the submitter and really helps for the reviewer.
They applies at base-commit, checks, rebases and resolves conflicts if
they are.  Otherwise, the patch is useless or it needs to be rewritten
by hand (or please indicate me how to do :-)).

BTW, it helps automation tools.

Sometimes, this base-commit is useless for the reviewer workflow but
having it does not interfere.  Having an information does not mean it
must be used.  However, not having an information implies it cannot be
used. ;-)

Cheers,
simon