Subject: Re: bug#43944: 28.0.50; Update modus-operandi, modus-vivendi themes to v0.13.0

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 10:13:58 -0700

Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:

> + The two themes are also available in GNU ELPA.  What is the best way
>   to ensure that we sync between emacs.git and elpa.git?  GNU ELPA has
>   hitherto pulled from dedicated branches on my upstream git repository.
>   Maybe it would be better/easier to start building directly from the
>   Emacs source?  This would reduce the overall workload.

What does "start building directly from the Emacs source" mean here?

FWIW, I don't think we should feel too bound to any particular process;
this seems like a practical matter where we should try to do whatever
is most practical.

> + Sending attachments with large diffs has the downside of losing the
>   commit history.  Do Emacs maintainers wish to keep track of it?  If
>   so, what would be the best way to preserve it, seeing as I am
>   developing them on my own upstream?

I don't think we generally worry about preserving history for packages
managed externally.  We just sync the latest version.

(If one really would like to preserve it, it could perhaps be done with
some git magic.  I'm not sure it's worth the extra effort.)

> + Should the texinfo file be mentioned in the NEWS entry about the two
>   themes?  The attached patch does not include such a change.

We could of course add a NEWS entry for it.  Would you like to propose
one?