Subject: bug#43941: bug#40844: html mode sometimes fooled by apostrophe

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:21:36 +0200

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I made a silly mistake (it was late and I was tired).  Here is a
> corrected version:

I can confirm that this patch solves the test cases here.

> With this patch, when any of the paired-bracket characters is followed
> by `'' in html-mode, there is indeed no string face fontification on the
> latter (and following characters).  The following function demonstrates
> this:

[...]

> I wanted to turn this function into a test, and that's what the
> commented out lines are supposed to do.  But when I uncomment these
> lines and call this function with the unpatched (i.e. current) version
> of sgml-mode-syntax-table, it still shows default face for `'' with all
> the paired-bracket characters.  Yet when I step through the function
> with Ediff, I do see some cases with font-lock-string-face.  I don't
> understand what's going on here.

Might be a timing issue, perhaps?

In any case, the patch is an improvement, so perhaps that should be
pushed anyway?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no