Subject: Re: [bug#43920] [SHEPHERD PATCH] shepherd: Move log file to XDG_CACHE_DIR.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 16:23:57 +0200

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * modules/shepherd/support.scm (%user-log-dir): New variable.
> (user-default-log-file): Use it.
> * doc/shepherd.texi: (Invoking shepherd): Adjust listed default log
> file.
> * tests/basic.sh: Adjust for separate log directory.

[...]

>  For unprivileged users, the default log file is
> -@file{$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/shepherd/shepherd.log}.
> +@file{$XDG_CACHE_DIR/shepherd/shepherd.log}.

The previous location wasn’t perfect, but the proposed one isn’t great
either: one can generally assume “rm -rf ~/.cache” won’t lose anything
that cannot be reconstructed, and the log is something that cannot be
reconstructed.

Do the XDG spec have something else that might be more appropriate?

Thanks,
Ludo’.