Subject: Re: bug#43889: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Add new smiley-style emoji to Gnus

From: Adam Sjøgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 13:55:54 +0200

Eli writes:

>>> It doesn't actually test for HarfBuzz availability, or did I miss
>>> that?
>> 
>> It doesn't - you have to choose the style yourself, by customizing the
>> smiley-style variable.
>
> How about adding that: the font-backend frame parameter should tell
> you if HarfBuzz is available.

Do you mean removing the option if HarfBuzz isn't available?

As far as I understand it, emoji can be displayed without, they just
won't have color? Which might be something that users without HarfBuzz
would like to be able to choose.

(Having color emoji is just my motivation to make the patch.)

> Perhaps when HarfBuzz is being used, it should be the default?  I
> don't use Gnus, but maybe such a new default will make sense to Gnus
> users?

I think changing the default would be annoying to users, but I don't
have any evidence in either direction. Maybe some users would consider
it "modern" to change it.

  Best regards,

    Adam

-- 
 "Do not feed the oysters under the clouds"                 Adam Sjøgren
                                                       [email-masked]