Subject: bug#43889: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Add new smiley-style emoji to Gnus

From: Adam Sjøgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 13:12:32 +0200

Eli writes:

>> The new smiley-style called emoji takes advantage of the harfbuzz glyph
>> rendering to represent smileys as colorful unicode emoji rather than
>> images.
>
> It doesn't actually test for HarfBuzz availability, or did I miss
> that?

It doesn't - you have to choose the style yourself, by customizing the
smiley-style variable.

The patch does not change the default value of smiley-style, it just
adds yet another option for the user to choose.

I could have presented it better: what I was trying to say is that now
that Emacs can present unicode emoji in colors (which I understand is
due to harfbuzz), this option can be a useful alternative to
representing smileys with color images, to achieve the desired effect.

  Best regards,

    Adam

-- 
 "SUVs are gross because they're the solution to a          Adam Sjøgren
  gross problem. (How to make minivans look more       [email-masked]
  masculine.)"