Subject: Re: bug#43888: 28.0.50; emacsclient not working properly

From: Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 09:30:57 +0200

I moved it to the top of my config, then I get the following error on
startup:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable server-use-tcp)
  default-toplevel-value(server-use-tcp)
  custom-initialize-reset(server-use-tcp (funcall #'#f(compiled-function ()
#<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>)))
  custom-declare-variable(server-use-tcp (funcall #'#f(compiled-function ()
#<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>)) "If non-nil, use TCP sockets instead of local
socke..." :set #f(compiled-function (sym val) #<bytecode
0xecd269cdbfc6f97>) :type boolean :version "22.1")

byte-code("\300\301\302\303\304\305%\210\306\307\310\311\312DD\313\314\315\316\317\320\321&\11\210\306\322\310\311\323DD\324\316\325\320\321&\7\210\326\322\327\330#\210\306\331\310\311..."
[custom-declare-group server nil "Emacs running as a server process."
:group external custom-declare-variable server-use-tcp funcall function
#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>) "If non-nil, use TCP
sockets instead of local socke..." :set #f(compiled-function (sym val)
#<bytecode 0xecd269cdbfc6f97>) :type boolean :version "22.1" server-host
#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>) "The name or IP address
to use as host address of t..." (choice (string :tag "Name or IP address")
(const :tag "Local" nil)) put risky-local-variable t server-port
#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>) "The port number that
the server process should lis..." (choice (string :tag "Port number")
(const :tag "Random" nil)) "24.1" server-auth-dir #f(compiled-function ()
#<bytecode 0xae5c6d90276fe>) "Directory for server authentication
files.\nWe only..." directory server-auth-key #f(compiled-function ()
#<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>) "Server authentication key.\nThis is only used
if `s..." (choice (const :tag "Random" nil) (string :tag "Password"))
"24.3" server-raise-frame #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode
0x1e0000171e5d>) "If non-nil, raise frame when switching to a buffer..."
server-visit-hook #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>) "Hook
run when visiting a file for the Emacs server..." hook server-switch-hook
#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1e0000171e91>) "Hook run when
switching to a buffer for the Emacs ..." server-after-make-frame-hook ...]
10)
  (server-start)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/username/.emacs" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 216
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/username/.emacs" "/home/username/.emacs"
t t)
  load("~/.emacs" noerror nomessage)
  startup--load-user-init-file(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode
0xcee8b0bce81ba0f>) #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x81a386fa1b1b513>)
t)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

Gábor <[email-masked]> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. okt. 13., K, 9:17):

> I set them both to t, now I have the following error on startup:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "make client process failed"
> "No such file or directory" :name "server-client-test" :family local
> :server nil :noquery t :service "/run/user/1000/emacs/server")
>   make-network-process(:name "server-client-test" :family local :server
> nil :noquery t :service "/run/user/1000/emacs/server")
>   server-running-p("server")
>   server-start()
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/username/.emacs" nil t)  ;
> Reading at buffer position 27778
>   load-with-code-conversion("/home/username/.emacs"
> "/home/username/.emacs" t t)
>   load("~/.emacs" noerror nomessage)
>   startup--load-user-init-file(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode
> 0xed8d667e6160a0f>) #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x81a386fa1b1b513>)
> t)
>   command-line()
>   normal-top-level()
>
>
>
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. okt. 12., H, 16:50):
>
>> > From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
>> > Cc: Gábor <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>> >   [email-masked],
>> >   [email-masked]
>> > Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 07:58:27 +0200
>> >
>> > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> >
>> > > > *ERROR*: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 4), 5
>> >
>> > > But since with "emacs -Q" it does work, it is still some of your
>> > > customizations that are the prime suspect.
>> >
>> > Is there a way for the user to get an error message more verbose than
>> > above?
>>
>> Yes, make sure debug-on-signal and debug-on-error are both non-nil in
>> the Emacs that runs the server, then you will have the backtrace pop
>> up in Emacs.  Assuming there's some frame visible for the server, that
>> is.
>>
>