Subject: bug#43888: 28.0.50; emacsclient not working properly

From: Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 09:17:01 +0200

I set them both to t, now I have the following error on startup:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "make client process failed"
"No such file or directory" :name "server-client-test" :family local
:server nil :noquery t :service "/run/user/1000/emacs/server")
  make-network-process(:name "server-client-test" :family local :server nil
:noquery t :service "/run/user/1000/emacs/server")
  server-running-p("server")
  server-start()
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/username/.emacs" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 27778
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/username/.emacs" "/home/username/.emacs"
t t)
  load("~/.emacs" noerror nomessage)
  startup--load-user-init-file(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode
0xed8d667e6160a0f>) #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x81a386fa1b1b513>)
t)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. okt. 12., H, 16:50):

> > From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Gábor <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked]
> > Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 07:58:27 +0200
> >
> > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> > > > *ERROR*: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 4), 5
> >
> > > But since with "emacs -Q" it does work, it is still some of your
> > > customizations that are the prime suspect.
> >
> > Is there a way for the user to get an error message more verbose than
> > above?
>
> Yes, make sure debug-on-signal and debug-on-error are both non-nil in
> the Emacs that runs the server, then you will have the backtrace pop
> up in Emacs.  Assuming there's some frame visible for the server, that
> is.
>