Subject: Re: bug#43887: 28.0.50; in HELLO: Javanese (Jawa) System.out.println("Sugeng siang!");

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 15:49:23 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> [2020-10-11 12:05]:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> I see this when HELLO is displayed:
> >>
> >> Javanese (Jawa)	System.out.println("Sugeng siang!");
> >
> > It's a (pretty weak) joke about Java (the computer language) and Jawa
> > (the language).
> 
> So should we remove the joke or just close this bug?

>From view point of Jawa people, they will probably not understand Java
programming language.

>From view point that Java is large island, with large number of people
there, please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java reference to 145
millions, if I would be one of those, I would not understand it, and
we can also think that some could be negatively impacted that their
language is written that way. Thus from their viewpoint, joke could
not be understood.

That page may be most welcoming page among all.

Myself I cannot assume that everybody uses Emacs for programming, even
if I do, but cannot assume that. I have been spending quite nice time
in Agrigento, Italy, using Emacs for writing book and articles.

Myself I cannot speak for people on that island, you could ask them if
that is alright.