Subject: Re: bug#43866: 26.3; italian postfix additions

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 16:00:28 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 15:26:07 +0200, Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]> said:

    >> >> The rationale is that in Italy latin-9 should be used insterad of
    >> >> latin1, which does not contain the euro symbol.  And that
    >> >> italian-postfix should allow introducing the euro symbol.
    >> 
    Eli> As for the Euro symbol, I guess we need to add it to all the Latin
    Eli> input methods, not just the Italian one?
    >> 
    >> Itʼs already in latin-postfix and on C-x 8 * E, is that really
    >> necessary?

    Francesco> I don't use latin-postfix, because it gets in the way: there are many
    Francesco> more combinations than in italian postifix which change what I am
    Francesco> writing - this is an added burden for a minuscul added benefit.

OK

    Francesco> This is why italian-postifix exists, in spite of the existence of
    Francesco> latin-postfix.

    Francesco> I don't use C-x 8 either, because I'd have to learn a lot of complex
    Francesco> bindings: when I need some exotic char I use the terminal or the X
    Francesco> combinations, which are easier and not specific to Emacs, unless I am
    Francesco> forced to.

This would not be for you: you already have your modified
italian-postfix.

    Francesco> This has little to do with italian-postfix, in fact.

    Francesco> All in all, I don't get your objection.  What would be the drawback of
    Francesco> adding the E = keybinding?

Think of it more as 'do we really need to change X numbers of input
methods, is there a simpler way'.

And the answer appears to be 'no such way exists'

Robert
--