Subject: Re: bug#43866: 26.3; italian postfix additions

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 23:54:56 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  >     Richard> Maybe C-h in the argument for C-x 8 could display a buffer
  >     Richard> which displays characters you can choose.
  >     Richard> Each character would be followed by the sequence to type to choose that
  >     Richard> character.

  > The problem is that such a list is very long. 'C-h b' after 'C-x 8
  > RET' will display the bindings, but it does not currently contain the
  > character names, and TAB after 'C-x 8 RET' will list all the names but
  > not the sequences for entering them.

It would be a problem if they are displayed in an inconvenient
way, not designed specifically for this purpose.  My idea is to display
them in a buffer which is divided into pages, so you could use  C-x ]
and C-x [ to move around in it, as well as search commands.

  > Why does it matter which code block a character is in?

Organizing the buffer by code blocks makes it feasible to navigate
through the long list of all the Unicode characters and find 
the one you want, without knowing its name in advance.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)