Subject: Re: bug#43866: 26.3; italian postfix additions

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 23:52:24 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Would it make sense to support exactly the same keys that are
  > > provided by the X11 compose method?  I mean that are in the file
  > > /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose
  > > also available at
  > > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey
  > > and
  > > https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/plain/nls/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.pre

  > How about making a new input method for those?  It seems to me that
  > C-x 8 is already too "fat".

That may be useful, but it has a drawback compared with C-x 8.

It is inconvenient to change input methods just for one character and
then change back.  C-x 8 avoids that inconvenience; you can use it to
enter one character, any one character, without changing the current
input method.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)