Subject: bug#43866: 26.3; italian postfix additions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 18:07:29 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 11:07:41 +0300
> 
> > How about making a new input method for those?  It seems to me that
> > C-x 8 is already too "fat".
> 
> Yes, a new method might be useful as well.  But since such method can't
> be enabled all the time because such sequences as "= E" should be inserted
> literally in normal circumstances.  So such method needs to be enabled
> temporarily, and it takes more time to enable/disable it, while it's
> useful only to insert a single special character sometimes, it would be
> much easier to type some prefix key before typing "= E" to insert €
> when such a need arises occasionally.

But turning an input method on and off is just 1 key, C-\, whereas
C-x 8 is 2 keys, and not very convenient sequence to type, at least on
QWERTY keyboards.  So it looks like a dedicated input method will
still be a win.  I don't think it's right that the only Unicode input
method we have is TeX -- that is great for TeX users, but many people
don't use (La)TeX, and will find it unintuitive to type the TeX
sequences.