Subject: bug#43866: 26.3; italian postfix additions

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 00:38:48 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Would it make sense to support exactly the same keys that are
  > provided by the X11 compose method?

That might be a good idea.

Also, I wonder if we could make that command more self-documenting.
Maybe C-h in the argument for C-x 8 could display a buffer
which displays characters you can choose.
Each character would be followed by the sequence to type to choose that
character.

This should include all the characters Emacs supports, divided clearly
into Unicode code blocks, with their unicode names.  Not just the ones
that have specific short C-x 8 sequences definied in Emacs.

It would be nice to have a prefix more mnemonic than C-x 8.
But I have nothing to suggest.

It would be good to shorten C-x 8 RET.  That is my go-to method
of inserting characters for which I don't know a sequence.

Currently, 8 upper-case letters are valid after C-h 8, and 6
lower-case.  Suppose we free up one case -- either the upper-case
letters or the lower-case letters.  Then we could make typing
a letter of that case throw you into the minibuffer.

In this way, we could replace C-x 8 RET UNICODE-NAME RET with
C-x 8 UNICODE-NAME RET.

Also, why not change the Unicode character names to lower-case?
They would look nicer that way, I think.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)