Subject: bug#43865: mml-attach-file could call system file chooser

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:20:00 +0200

>>>>> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 22:17:05 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Lars> Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> I agree with Robert's interpretation of Dan's report here, this makes
    >> sense to me as a feature request.  Other Software™ usually present a
    >> visual file chooser whether the user clicked File > Open or typed
    >> Control+O, so some users could prefer the hypothetical 'always behaviour
    >> Robert suggested.

    Lars> I'm not opposed to a user option like that, but I do wonder whether it'd
    Lars> be used a lot: If `C-x C-f' popped up a graphical file chooser, I think
    Lars> I'd grow pretty tired of it.

You would, I would, but our hypothetical new user would be expecting
it.

    Lars> Perhaps I closed this bug report prematurely -- Dan has a point here:
    Lars> `C-c C-a' in Message is kinda special in one way, in that it's commonly
    Lars> used to insert images and the like into an email.  For images, you want
    Lars> the graphical file chooser, because it often shows you thumbnails and
    Lars> stuff.

    Lars> With `C-x C-f', the overwhelming number of things you'd open would be
    Lars> text files, and no thumbnails help with that.

This suggests we should have several options for this:

- never
- when invoked by mouse
- always
- only for specific commands

Robert
--