Subject: Re: bug#43865: mml-attach-file could call system file chooser

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 22:17:05 +0200

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree with Robert's interpretation of Dan's report here, this makes
> sense to me as a feature request.  Other Software™ usually present a
> visual file chooser whether the user clicked File > Open or typed
> Control+O, so some users could prefer the hypothetical 'always behaviour
> Robert suggested.

I'm not opposed to a user option like that, but I do wonder whether it'd
be used a lot: If `C-x C-f' popped up a graphical file chooser, I think
I'd grow pretty tired of it.

Perhaps I closed this bug report prematurely -- Dan has a point here:
`C-c C-a' in Message is kinda special in one way, in that it's commonly
used to insert images and the like into an email.  For images, you want
the graphical file chooser, because it often shows you thumbnails and
stuff.

With `C-x C-f', the overwhelming number of things you'd open would be
text files, and no thumbnails help with that.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no