Subject: bug#43858: closed (Re: bug#43858: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Missing eln cache not created)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 06:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43858: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Missing eln cache not created

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43858: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43858
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43858: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Missing eln cache not created
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew Whatson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 06:32:42 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andrew Whatson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks, yes, that fixed the main case where the missing directory
> wasn't created.  While testing it, I've found another one in subr
> trampoline creation; patch submitted as #43875.
>
> Cheers!

Super! closing this

  Andrea

Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Missing eln cache not created
From: Andrew Whatson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 10:01:23 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After removing ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache, running "emacs -q" starts up with
the error "native-compile-async: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil".
This is caused by `comp-el-to-eln-filename' returning nil due to no
writeable eln cache directory being found.

I think we should attempt to create the cache directories if they're
missing, and have a better error if there is *really* no writeable
cache directory.