Subject: Re: [bug#43852] [PATCH] gnu: Add riscv-openocd.

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 21:02:57 +0200

Hello,

since I am speaking as someone who does not know what these packages are
about, please take what follows with a grain of salt.

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 10:02:09PM +0200, Malte Frank Gerdes wrote:
> libjaylink ... is
> ... available as a package. The available package ...
> ... is too old ...
> ... should I do something?

Written like this, I would say you could try updating it, independently
of your target package. Then the question is whether you break anything
else:
    guix refresh -l libjaylink
A single dependent package: [email-masked]

So there already is an openocd, which maybe should be updated at the same
time?

And do you really need a new package, or could it be enough to provide
more inputs or configuration flags to the existing one? Otherwise, how
about inheriting? The name also is weird, see the section in the manual;
we normally keep the upstream project name.

Andreas