Subject: Re: [bug#43851] [PATCH] gnu: sudo: Depend on python-minimal instead of python.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 20:48:55 +0200

Heyho Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer 写道：
> What kind of uses does the Python bindings provide?

They're not bindings in the way I understand the term; more like a 
plug-in interface that allows you to implement security policies 
beyond the rudimentary ‘sudoers’ format (or writing a C extension 
*shudder*).  Basically: what we would have used Guile for :-)

The rest of the world uses Python.

However, PAM is not relevant to the discussion & served only to 
confuse.

> If we don't have any use for it, I think it may be better to let 
> the
> dependency go altogether, to keep sudo as small and secure as 
> possible.

I don't think sudo is either, nor does the presence of Python 
affect that meaningfully.  But let's stop this pointless 
discussion since removing it helps the Hurd progress.  That's 
enough.

The Hurd is a lot more exciting than the removal of sudo Python 
support -- and actually *will* improve security!

\o/,

T G-R