Subject: bug#43847: ERC - prevent yanking multiple lines into IRC (feature request) *patch*

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 22:11:59 +0200

Brett Gilio <[email-masked]> writes:

> Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> writes:
>> This hasn't come up for me outside IRC/ERC, that I can recall, but it
>> definitely does makes sense to me that people would want an easy way
>> to strip new-lines when yanking in contexts out-side IRC. Any thoughts
>> as to the approach for this?

I think a new command, like `yank-trim-whitespace', might be nice.  I
have no idea where I'd put something like that in the global keymap,
which is why I've never proposed it...

But we could put it somewhere in the erc keymap for sure.

> After giving it more thought, perhaps a prefix arg is the correct way to
> go here. It would be enough that people would not experience a breaking
> change. Or, it could be such that ERC alerts in the echo buffer that you
> are about to send a multiline paste and ask if it should be sanitized?

That sounds nice...  doesn't erc already have an (optional) way of
warning against multi-line yanks?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no