Subject: bug#43847: ERC - prevent yanking multiple lines into IRC (feature request) *patch*

From: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 11:56:02 -0500

Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> writes:

> I hate it when I accidentally paste multi-line text into ERC.  I
> *never* actually intend to do this.
>
> This patch provides erc-yank and binds it to C-y for erc-mode buffers.
> This does the same as `yank'; however, the text is unfilled (collapsed
> to a single line) before it is inserted.
>
> It might make sense to have a defcustom to get back the old behavior
> but I haven't included that.  This is my second attempt at sharing a
> patch for Emacs; I sent one about an hour ago.  I believe, taking both
> patches together, I should be pretty close to the max for tiny-change.
> I've started the copyright assignment process.
>
> All feedback gratefully received :)
>

A possible alternative behavior could be somewhat similar to what CIRCE
does, but may be more intensive to implement. CIRCE, when pasting
multiline content offers to send the content to a paste-service, and
then kills the URL to the buffer and sends that instead.

What if we had a paste.emacs.org that ERC could utilize here?

Just a thought.

Brett Gilio