Subject: bug#43844: 27.1; Mouse-3 avoid "Buffer is read-only" *patch*

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 09:10:04 -0600

Thanks again Lars.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 11:02 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Should it be the users responsibility to set this variable (in some
> > hook? which?) for any buffers that default to read-only?
>
> Yes.  Some buffers have read-only text, and killing that text will
> signal an error (by design), whether you kill the text using the mouse
> or with `C-w'.  If the user wants to be able to kill the text, then the
> user should set that variable.

Would you recommend packages such as ERC (or dired?) that essentially
create only read-only buffers to set this such that unconfigured
defaults don't lead to a user-error?

>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

Regards,
Corwin