Subject: bug#43843: git-annex is not Reproducible

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:55:59 +0200

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 12:34, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Does the parallel build save a lot of time and CPU?  If yes, maybe we
> > could to provide a transformation for the expert, something like
> > "haskell-build-system-with-parellel-build" which tweaks
> > "PARALLEL-BUILD?", similarly to the recent "no tests".  WDYT?
>
> We shouldn’t compromise reproducibility for parallel builds.  Ideally we
> would figure out what exactly causes the differences and fix that
> instead of disabling parallel builds, but if that turns out to be too
> difficult I think we should just revert this until we have a good fix.
>
> Perhaps something can be done by fixing the order of files somewhere.

My proposal is for the expert and not at the CLI level.  Something
like "(funky-name ghc-foo)" which returns a new package with
PARALLEL-BUILD? turned to #t.  And the default should be #f.  WDYT?

Well, I am going to try to rebuild the packages with #f and see if it
fixes the ~300 unreproducible packages.

Cheers,
simon