Subject: bug#43830: keyboard layout handling incompatible with rest of the OS

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 22:04:17 +0300

>> All these problems are because of mismatch between your X layout and
>> your Emacs input method.  Emacs doesn't know the X layout, so you need
>> to define it in Emacs by adapting an existing input method,
>> or defining different keys manually.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand. I also don't see anything about this in the
> documentation (README).
>
> I want physical key that is '/' in English to type '.' in Russian (because
> that is what it does in russian-computer), but invoke shortcuts bound to
> C-/, M-/ etc. Is that possible with `reverse-im'?

You said this issue was successfully solved by other applications tens of
years ago.  Do these apps allow you typing physical key '/' to get '.'
while keeping invoking C-/, M-/ shortcuts?  I know no such applications,
they all invoke C-. and M-., not C-/ and M-/.

But in Emacs you can do everything you want.  If `reverse-im'
doesn't handle this automatically, you can redefine key mappings for
'/', 'C-/' and 'M-/' manually (using some code from `reverse-im').