Subject: bug#43800: closed (Re: bug#43800: 28.0.50; Package already install but still connecting to MELPA at start)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 17:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43800: 28.0.50; Package already install but still connecting to MELPA at start

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43800: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43800
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43800: 28.0.50; Package already install but still connecting to MELPA at start
From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 22:50:17 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Subject: 28.0.50; Package already install but still connecting to MELPA at start
From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 00:09:40 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is working fine on emacs-27 branch. But the issue is occuring only
on ‘master’.

In my ~/.emacs.d/init.d, I have (require 'init-flymake). And I've set
load-path before that using following statement,

(eval-and-compile
  (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "lisp" user-emacs-directory)))

And my ~/.emacs.d/lisp/init-flymake.el has following content,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(require 'package)

(defun my/flymake-setup ()
  "Initialize flymake from elpa."
  (defvar my/pkgs '(flymake))

  (let (ulist)
    (dolist (pkg my/pkgs ulist)
      (unless (package-installed-p pkg)
	(setq ulist (cons pkg ulist))))
    (unless (null ulist)
      (package-refresh-contents)
      (dolist (pkg ulist)
	(package-install pkg)))))

(my/flymake-setup)

(require 'flymake)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-n") #'flymake-goto-next-error)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-p") #'flymake-goto-prev-error)

(provide 'init-flymake)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Everytime I restart emacs, it connects to MELPA to download
flymake. Following are log entries from *Messages* buffer at the
beginning of emacs session.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Contacting host: melpa.org:443 [2 times]
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:443
Package refresh done
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:443
Generating autoloads for flymake.el...done
  INFO     Scraping files for flymake-autoloads.el...done
Wrote /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9/flymake-autoloads.el
Checking /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9... [3 times]
Source file ‘/Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9/flymake.el’ newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Wrote /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9/flymake.elc
Checking /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9...
Done (Total of 1 file compiled, 2 skipped)
Package ‘flymake’ installed.
Loading /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Loading /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
Saving file /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/custom.el...
Wrote /Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/custom.el
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 14, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H2))
 of 2020-10-04 built on mb2.local
Repository revision: 0fe8ab79e7a2306b84e209cc4e90da1996da1cad
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

Configured using:
 'configure LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/ruby/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/ruby/include
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/local/opt/sqlite/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libffi/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/ruby/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_IN.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9/flymake hides /Users/pankaj/work/code/savannah/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/flymake

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-topic pop3 nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnml nnfolder
cl-extra epa-file gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
nntp gnus-cache .gnus nnir gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader emacsbug sendmail pulse xref vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher project checkdoc help-mode
display-line-numbers elec-pair paren hideshow semantic/db-mode
semantic/idle semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db eieio-base semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet vc-git diff-mode cus-edit cus-start cus-load init server vtl cl
init-java init-kotlin init-elisp init-keys init-modeline init-looks
init-editorconfig init-speedbar init-recentf recentf tree-widget
wid-edit init-date-time solar cal-dst init-crypto init-browser
init-icomplete icomplete init-which-key which-key init-flycheck
init-flymake flymake-proc flymake pcase warnings compile autoload
radix-tree lisp-mnt finder-inf mm-archive gnutls network-stream url-http
url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
init-dired init-org org-indent org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol
org-keys org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-compat advice org-macs init-erc erc-auth erc-join erc-goodies erc
erc-backend iso8601 thingatpt pp format-spec erc-loaddefs init-email
message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
init-ibuffer edmacro kmacro info early-init package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 525435 39165)
 (symbols 48 33163 1)
 (strings 32 132794 4350)
 (string-bytes 1 3994936)
 (vectors 16 47812)
 (vector-slots 8 608090 31804)
 (floats 8 605 378)
 (intervals 56 812 89)
 (buffers 992 30))

-- 
Pankaj Jangid

GnuPG Fingerprint => 0B62 7424 3B26 A911 052A  DDE6 7C95 6E6F F858 7689