Subject: bug#43796: Privacy policy

From: Jelle Licht <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 12:57:20 +0200

Hello,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> writes:

> IANAL but I think Guix needs a privacy policy for both its website and
> the Guix software in general.
Thanks for looking into this.

IANAL but I do not think it makes sense to have such a privacy policy at
this moment in time. I'd rather have a person with legal expertise look
at this situation and do the following:

1. Notice that we do need such a policy
2. Draft (or at least proof read) this policy.

The reason for this is two-fold: I think there are enough 'legal' texts
on the Internet of questionable enforcability/applicability, and doing
things this way creates a cargo-cult mentality.

Compare to the questionable habit of unconditionally adding the "The
content of this email is confidential ..."-esque spam outgoing email
(even if that mail is addressed to a public mailing list).

If others disagree in principle or in practice with me on this, that is
fine too of course :-)

- Jelle