Subject: bug#43773: closed (Re: bug#43773: [PATCH] offload: Improve load normalization and configurability.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 15:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43773: guix offload scheduler/load balancer throttles itself

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43773: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43773
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43773: [PATCH] offload: Improve load normalization and configurability.
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 11:04:55 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I went ahead and pushed this change with commit
efbf5fdd01817ea75de369e3dd2761a85f8f7dd5.

Thank you!

Maxim

Subject: guix offload scheduler/load balancer throttles itself
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 23:05:20 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Guix offload monitors the load of the offload machine, and waits
patiently until the load comes back down below a pre-determined level
(normalized 2.0 level, it seems) before starting the next build, even
when there is a single offload build machine involved.  This is
inefficient and causes it to throttle itself.

Idea of an improvement: it should choose the offload machine with the
less load (already the case, I believe), and not block waiting for the
load to go down before starting a build.

Maxim