Subject: Re: [bug#43769] [PATCH v2 2/2] guix-install.sh: Check the service 'nscd' and suggest it.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 14:28:53 +0200

Ludo', Zimoun,

Ludovic Courtès 写道：
>> If we must have a new interactive prompt in this series, this 
>> seems
>> like the better place: we know enough about the host (init) 
>> system to
>> auto-enable nscd on most of them, if the user so wishes.
>
> In practice, you enable nscd by running ‘apt install nscd’ or 
> similar,
> and I think we cannot guess what the right command is.  WDYT?

I agree: I was under the assumption that nscd is commonly 
installed as part of the base OS, but disabled by default at the 
init system level.  If that's not likely to be true, don't let's 
bother.

Zimoun 写道：
> ask and then try to start the service depending on the init 
> system if nscd is not running

If the distro equivalent of ‘service start nscd’ works in the 
*common* case, I like it.  Otherwise a warning/suggestion to 
manually install & enable it is fine.

My general point was that guix-install.sh should do as much as it 
can with the information it already has ($INIT_SYS) and be 
consistent in using it, not that we start sniffing 
$LEGACY_PKG_MANAGER too :-)

Thanks for your work so far, Simon,

T G-R