Subject: Re: [bug#43769] [PATCH v2 1/2] guix-install.sh: Add symbolic links for supported shell completions.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 14:02:13 +0200

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 10:09, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>> > Why bother the user with this?  We don't ask before installing
>> > /etc/profile.d/guix.sh, or enabling the daemon, and we shouldn't
>> > offer similar meaningless choices just for the sake of it.
>>
>> Yeah, I think we can install completions without asking (but still
>> printing a line about it.)
>
> As we talked with nckx yesterday on IRC, from my point of view, it is
> impolite to install stuff behind the user.

Like Tobias wrote, the script is already doing that.  (It’s also
widespread practice these days: favor ease of use and installation speed
over fine-grained user control.)

> Well, to be concrete, I suggest either: a) add a comment in the
> Warning Note in the manual saying that /etc/profile.d and shell
> competitions will be installed or b) ask a global question in
> guix-install.sh about these.  WDYT?

I think it’s fine to just drop the completion files in the right place:
it’s what users expect.  But we should still have an INFO line saying
these are being installed, as a matter of transparency.

Thanks,
Ludo’.