Subject: Re: [bug#43769] [PATCH v2 1/2] guix-install.sh: Add symbolic links for supported shell completions.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 11:23:22 +0200

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 10:09, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
> > Why bother the user with this?  We don't ask before installing
> > /etc/profile.d/guix.sh, or enabling the daemon, and we shouldn't
> > offer similar meaningless choices just for the sake of it.
>
> Yeah, I think we can install completions without asking (but still
> printing a line about it.)

As we talked with nckx yesterday on IRC, from my point of view, it is
impolite to install stuff behind the user.  Well, to be concrete, I
suggest either: a) add a comment in the Warning Note in the manual
saying that /etc/profile.d and shell competitions will be installed or
b) ask a global question in guix-install.sh about these.  WDYT?
I do not have a strong opinion and the patch doing what you are both
suggesting is ready. ;-)

All the best,
simon