Subject: bug#43756: Fix for TTY menus mouse interaction

From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 12:54:54 -0700

On 2020-10-02 12:35 pm, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 09:45:33 -0700
>> From: Jared Finder via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> * Emacs repo from git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git, commit
>> f6277911eb2c520aec8f0efd80c91999226e3322
>> * Run on Debian under Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (the VM version).
>> I've also seen this on MacOS and native Win32 builds of Emacs.
> 
> Native Windows build doesn't support xterm-mouse, and the native mouse
> clicks work correctly there.  If you have a recipe for the native
> Windows build that shows incorrect menus popping down, please show
> that.

On Windows builds, only the M-x tmm-menubar step is broken, with the 
order in the displayed menu bar being different then in the tmm-menubar 
popup. This is *only* about text based menus, not the native platform 
ones.

>> emacs -Q
>> M-x ielm
>> M-x xterm-mouse-mode
> 
> Ah, xterm-mouse-mode.  AFAIR, no one has made TTY menus work with
> xterm-mouse-mode.  The first thing to do is to disable tmm-menubar,
> and then you need to cause a mouse click call menu-bar-open with the
> 2nd argument set to the X coordinate of the click.

I think this may be getting mixed up with my feature proposal on 
emacs-devel? I did find this bug when working on making the TTY menus 
work with xterm-mouse-mode and they both affect menus. The patches I 
attached in that thread follow the pattern you described.

This bug report is separable from the rest of that feature. It's also 
much smaller, just two lines. :) This fixes the current behavior of the 
command tmm-menubar-mouse, which is bound to <menu-bar> <mouse-1>.

   -- MJF