Subject: bug#43754: [PATCH] configure help message of --with-json

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 19:49:33 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The $MISSING part is for telling the users some libraries they might
> want were not available.  I'm saying that libjansson should be treated
> the same as, say, libgnutls.
>
>> But if I understand autoconf (and I do not), that shouldn't really
>> "spread" to the OPTION_DEFAULT_ stuff, should it?
>
> "Spread" in the sense that it should affect whether we use DEFAULT_ON
> or DEFAULT_IFAVAILABLE?  No, I don't think so.

Yes, I'm just wondering if whoever added the OPTION_DEFAULT_AVAILABLE
did it by mistake by looking at this stuff, or whether there was a
reason for it.

Oh, hey, whaddayaknow, it was a patch I applied a couple months ago:

commit 43091e6c5069797ba17d2c7429e0122d3a5337d9
Author:     Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Fri Aug 14 19:31:16 2020 +0200
Commit:     Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
CommitDate: Fri Aug 14 19:31:16 2020 +0200

    Make configure say so if we have "--with-json" but no jansson support
    
    * configure.ac (OPTION_DEFAULT_IFAVAILABLE): New macro.  Use it to
    define the --with-json option.  Add with_json and HAVE_JSON to the
    'MISSING' checks (bug#39953).

bug#39953 has the rationale behind the change.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no